Join the Friends
The Friends of Nevern Castle is a group of supporters and volunteers who help look after and promote knowledge about the Castle.
As a member, you’ll be kept up to date with news about the Castle. And you’ll be invited to volunteer for practical things like keeping the paths clear, or to make contributions to the website and other ways of informing visitors about the Castle.
Donations are also welcome:
- Bank transfer to Friends of Nevern Castle, sort code 30-99-50 a/c 21911968
- Aug 2022 – Nevern Show, Nevern Trail Guide, Friends leaflet
- Mar 2022 – Friends of Nevern Castle constituted
- Mar 2022 – Come to the Friends’ Meeting
- Feb 2022 – Memories of the Dig
- Dec 2021 – A borough and a key
- Nov 2021 – Pembs Coast Archaeology Day
- Sept 2021 – News of Nevern Castle
Read a Summary of what we do.
To help support these projects, we are happy to receive donations by bank transfer to:
Friends of Nevern Castle, sort code 30-99-50 a/c 21911968
We have a number of projects in hand:
Nevern Trail Guide revision
The Nevern Trail Guide leaflet was published in 2016. It’s now due for a reprint, and there’s an opportunity to make a few improvements.
Interpretation panels revision
Since the information boards were installed almost a decade ago, there have been a few changes. The digs are no longer current, and their discoveries make the content outdated. A survey in 2021 found some difficulties that visitors have with the panels, which we can address at the same time.
Currently (August 2022) we have draft redesigns of the panels. We’re seeking funding for the graphics, translation, and printing of the boards.
Read the draft redesign of the panels; and the overall interpretation plan.
We’ll need some funding for this.
We plan to create an education pack for schools, telling of the significance of Nevern Castle in the struggles between the Normans and the Welsh, explaining the archaeology, and firing imaginations to see 12th century life against the backdrop of the castle site as it appears today.
Read the education plan
Fun, information, and awareness
Aside from work with schools, we seek to raise awareness of the castle in a number of ways.
Events such as:
- Barbecues of August 2021 and 2022
- Presentation to Prince Charles on his visit to Nevern July 2021
- Information stand at Nevern Show August 2022
Tours – to be organized with some training from the Ancient Connections project.
- Pictures of artefacts and the dig displayed in the Trewern Arms.
The current set could be expanded and improved.
- Artefacts (or replicas) displayed in the Trewern and at the Village Hall.
Most are currently in keeping of the archaeologists; some are in a cabinet in the Village Hall. When the archaeologists are done, many sensitive items will have to be kept in a museum. Some more robust or less valuable objects can come to Nevern; some can be laser scanned and a 3D replica printed
- Website – Much of the content adapted from Chris Caple’s guidebook, with the addition of separate articles
The objects of the Friends state an intention to assist with physical maintenance of the site, under the direction of PCNPA and constraints imposed by CADW. Nothing has happened in that way yet.
Restoration of the Throne
The huge throne in the bailey was installed in 2008, but had fallen into disrepair by 2018. Patrick Beaumont undertook a sensitive restoration and the repaired throne was unveiled at the August barbecue of 2021.
Regular minor maintenance will be required to prevent a relapse.
Nevern Show August 2022
We talked to anyone interested about the castle and its history.